PLAIN LANGUAGE AND MULTILINGUAL
The plain language tie to translating digital content
Wednesday, March 08, 2023 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM ET
Hosted by Digital.gov and the Plain Language Community of Practice and Multilingual Community of Practice
The Plain Language and Multilingual communities share a goal of achieving more effective communication. They’re coming together to discuss the plain language and cultural components of effectively translating digital content into multiple languages.
In November 2022, Attorney General Merrick Garland called upon all federal agencies to strengthen our commitment to language access. He underscored, “All people in this country, regardless of the language they speak, deserve meaningful access to programs and activities that are conducted or supported by federal agencies.” There is a clear need to enhance access to multilingual information, including in digital content.
Join us as we speak with Christine Stoneman, chief of the Federal Coordination and Compliance Section in the Department of Justice’s Civil Rights Division, about their work to ensure meaningful access to individuals with limited English proficiency.
This event is best suited for all levels of plain language and multilingual practitioners. Those who work in related fields such as communications, customer experience, user experience, and web management will also benefit from attending.
In this session, you’ll learn about:
- The Department of Justice’s call to action and the connection between language access and equity.
- The connection between plain language and translation into non-English languages.
- The importance of effectively incorporating both technology and human skills into the translation process.
- Christine Stoneman - Chief, Federal Coordination and Compliance Section, Civil Rights Division, DOJ
- Katherine Spivey - Plain Language Community Lead
- Laura Godfrey - Multilingual Community Lead
- Top 10 best practices for multilingual websites
- Tips to create, maintain, and present non-English digital content
The Plain Language Action and Information Network (PLAIN) is a group of federal employees from different agencies and specialties who support the use of clear communication in government writing. Join the Plain Language Community.
The Multilingual Community of Practice is a group of government digital professionals working to expand and improve digital content in languages other than English. Join the Multilingual Community