For a decade, the Center for Plain Language has issued a yearly Report Card evaluating how well agencies follow the Plain Writing Act. These agencies were judged on organizational compliance and writing quality.
This year, the judges focused on the main Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request page and the main Coronavirus page of 21 executive branch agencies, including all 15 cabinet-level departments.
- David Lipscomb — Director of the Writing Center and Associate Teaching Professor, Georgetown University
- Katherine Spivey — U.S. General Services Administration (GSA)
- Katina Stapleton — U.S. Department of Education (ED)
- 2021 Federal Plain Language Report Card
- 2020 Federal Report Card Briefing
- Federal Report Card Update
The Plain Language Action and Information Network (PLAIN) is a group of federal employees from different agencies and specialties who support the use of clear communication in government writing. Join the Community of Practice.