The American Battle Monuments Commission (ABMC) released three new mobile apps this summer to honor fallen veterans in overseas cemeteries in Belgium, France and Italy.
Information about Flanders Field, Meuse-Argonne and Sicily-Rome American Cemeteries are all now accessible via mobile apps for both Android and iOS. ABMC developed these apps in line with their strategy of “providing an inspirational and educational visitor experience through effective outreach and interpretive programs.” Visitors to the cemeteries overseas are able to download these apps prior to travel or via WiFi in the visitor centers. These apps allow you to:
- Learn the stories of the Americans buried there, and find their burial locations
- Explore the cemetery grounds, and learn about the design and layout
- Take a cemetery tour in as little as one hour, or spend the entire day exploring the site
- Understand the U.S. military’s role in World War I or II
- See a map of the cemetery, including key points of interest
You don’t need to visit the cemeteries in order to benefit from these apps; they offer all users a glimpse of history and the sacrifices our veterans made.
Want to learn more about how ABMC’s development of these apps? Join our webinar on Using Mobile Experience Guidelines to Create Stellar Mobile Products as ABMC and Education discuss how they have implemented mobile user experience practices in the development of their applications.
You can download this and other government apps through the USA.gov Federal Mobile Apps Directory. Do you have a federal app that is not listed on the Directory? Take part in the Great Federal Mobile Product Hunt.