On this page
What is RPA?
Robotic Process Automation (RPA) is a low- to no-code Commercial Off the Shelf (COTS) technology that can automate repetitive, rules-based tasks. Like an Excel macro operating within a spreadsheet, RPA can record actions performed across a personal computer, access systems, and perform specific tasks for human users.
Popular uses of RPA include data entry, data reconciliation, spreadsheet manipulation, systems integration, automated data reporting, analytics, and customer outreach and communications.
RPA products vary in their exact capabilities, but all RPA technologies emulate human actions, enabling process owners or staff with appropriate training to rapidly design, test, and deploy automations dramatically reducing an organization’s low-value workload.
Why Deploy RPA at Your Agency?
Program managers have limited resources and many federal and agency-specific requirements to address. In response, federal mandates such as OMB’s M-18-23, “Shifting From Low-Value to High-Value Work ” guides agencies to work toward operational improvements, greater efficiencies, increased capabilities, and technology modernization.
RPA can achieve these goals at a low cost, with immediate impact. Specifically, RPA benefits include:
- Rapid implementation time compared to traditional IT solutions
- Increased organizational capacity
- Improved employee engagement with a focus on high-value work
- Wide-ranging applicability across agency functions and priorities
- Increased accuracy and compliance
- Improved standardization and auditability
- Reduced process cycle times
- Increased measurability and transparency