Every year, from September 15 to October 15, Hispanic Heritage Month highlights the culture, contributions and experience of the Hispanic/Latino community in the United States.
Since 2003, one program in the Technology Transformation Services (TTS) at the U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) has been leading the way in which the government serves the Spanish-speaking community in the U.S. That program is USAGov en Español, the official guide to government information and services in Spanish and a part of the USAGov program in TTS’ Office of Solutions.
During Hispanic Heritage Month, USAGov en Español is highlighting federal agencies that provide authoritative information about programs and services in Spanish and support the Spanish-speaking community during a multi-channel public engagement campaign.
The goal with this initiative is to connect people to government resources in Spanish, raise awareness among the public that the U.S. government offers information to the Spanish-speaking community, and establish USAGov en Español as the official guide of government information.
For the 2021 campaign, the team is working directly with subject matter experts at many agencies to coordinate public-facing messages about their programs and services. The plan is to regularly promote agency websites and social media handles on the @USAGovespanol social media and email marketing channels. The team is also creating original content like articles and graphics that the public and media can share and reproduce.
Agencies and programs participating in the campaign include:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- Consumer Product Safety Commission
- Department of State’s Bureau of Consular
- Environmental Protection Agency
- Federal Communications Commission
- Federal Emergency Management Agency
- Federal Trade Commission
- Food and Drug Administration
- Internal Revenue Service
- National Library of Medicine (NLM)/ Medline Plus
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration
- Social Security Administration
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
- U.S. Health and Human Services' Office of Minority Health
Interested in following along? Follow @USAGovespanol or the hashtag #TuGobiernoEnEspañol (Your Government in Spanish) on Twitter and Facebook during the month-long observance for agency highlights, stories, and tips on how to navigate the federal government.
Stay tuned after Hispanic Heritage Month for more on the experience of working with government agencies and programs, lessons learned from the campaign, and performance metrics on Blog.USA.gov.