Search Engine Optimization for Government Websites
On June 10, 2014, the Metrics Community of Practice of the Federal Web Managers Council and DigitalGov University hosted an event to honor the memory of Joe Pagano, a former co-chair of the Web Metrics Sub-Council.
This third lecture honoring Joe focused on search engine optimization (SEO).
While commercial search engines do a remarkable job of helping the public find our government information, as Web professionals, it’s also our job to help the public make sense of what they find.
I presented on SEO for government websites and specifically talked about:
- What SEO is and why it is important;
- SEO building blocks for writing content;
- Conducting keyword research; and
- Eliminating ROT (redundant, outdated, and trivial content).
- Check out the slide deck and visit the resources below to learn more.