The Smithsonian’s Mobile Strategy is designed to be integral to the overall organizational strategy of the institution. This Mobile Gov Experience is a synopsis of a webinar (PDF, 3.3 MB, 18 pages) by Smithsonian’s mobile director, which gives a more in depth description of their process.
By 2014 mobile internet use will surpass desktop internet use and the Smithsonian is using mobile to
- Recruit the world to increase and diffuse knowledge by using mobile platforms to enlist collaborators globally in undertaking the real and important work of the Institution
The Smithsonian surveyed staff and visitors during the summer of 2010 on mobile usage, and then held a mini conference followed by mobile workshops to gather stakeholder input on objectives and offerings. The Mobile Strategy was developed to dovetail with the Web and New Media Strategy and the Smithsonian’s overall 2010-2015 Strategic Plan. It has also taken into account the 2010-2015 SI Technology Plan (SITP) and the Digitization Plan. These are all interlocking parts of the same wheel, and should be mutually-supportive strategies.
During the first year, the Smithsonian mobile team achieved ten notable goals including
- the launch of seven mobile websites and thirteen mobile applications across the Institution, with dozens more in development
- the development of an active community of practice that meets informally on a weekly basis
- development of both internal and external wikis for sharing and collaboration
Roadmaps with regard to mobile can change pretty quickly and so you should do audience research annually and/or at the end of projects to make sure you’re still still on track with customer needs.
The Smithsonian’s goals for FY2012 include:
- Further develop SI Mobile communities and collaboration
- Foster education and create new learning opportunities on mobile platforms
- Fundraise to put in place an expanded SI Mobile team, business model and sustainable resources for SI Mobile initiatives and core infrastructure and activities
- Advocate and facilitate the installation of a free, public wifi network throughout the Smithsonian’s galleries and public spaces.
Include a contact name and email if you are willing to discuss your mobile experience using the following format:
Nancy Proctor | proctorn (at) si (dot) edu
Have feedback or questions? Send us an email »