Open to anyone with a .gov or .mil email address.
To join, email SM-COPfirstname.lastname@example.org with
Join #SocialGov in the subject.
Avg. 5 emails per week
Who We Are
The Federal SocialGov Community was launched in June 2012 to research, evaluate, and implement emerging social technologies and strategies for public services. It unites over 1,200 digital managers and specialists at more than 160 federal, tribal, state, and local agencies in a collaborative program aimed at improving the creation, adoption, and evaluation of digital engagement programs.
How to Join
If you are a government employee with a .gov or .mil email address, join our SocialGov Community.
SocialGov is managed by Senior Media Advisor, Gabrielle Perret, at the U.S. General Services Administration.
What We Do
We identify opportunities and challenges to improve government use of social data, and collectively address them for the shared benefit of all agencies. We also help develop shared resources and tools needed to get the job done, including:
- U.S. Public Participation Playbook
- Readiness, Recovery, Response: Social Media Cyber-Vandalism Toolkit
- Improving the Accessibility of Social Media in Government for Persons with Disabilities
Another one of these programs is the U.S. Digital Registry, which is the official resource that agencies, citizens, and developers use to confirm the official status of social media and public-facing collaboration accounts, mobile apps and mobile websites. This creates an additional layer of security by helping prevent exploitation from unofficial sources, phishing scams, or malicious entities.
Tools and Resources
- U.S. Digital Registry https://digital.gov/services/u-s-digital-registry/
- U.S. Public Participation Playbook https://participation.usa.gov
- Readiness, Recovery, Response: Social Media Cyber-Vandalism Toolkit https://digital.gov/resources/readiness-recovery-response-social-media-cyber-vandalism-toolkit/
- Federal Social Media Analytics Toolkit https://digital.gov/resources/federal-social-media-accessibility-toolkit-hackpad/
- Federal Social Media Accessibility Toolkit https://digital.gov/resources/federal-social-media-accessibility-toolkit-hackpad/
- Federal-Compatible Terms of Service Agreements https://digital.gov/resources/federal-compatible-terms-of-service-agreements/
When participating in this CoP, follow Digital.gov Etiquette Guidelines. Respect your peers, use plain language, be patient, practice constructive criticism, and stay organized. By participating in this CoP conversation, you agree to abide by the TTS Code of Conduct.
Have feedback or questions? Send us an email »